Wednesday, May 16, 2018

End of an Era

Mon., 5/14/2018 (Loma Plata)

Wow! Well it has been a really fast-paced, emotional week. I'll start on Monday. I got to do the interview for the baptism of a girl named Milagro in Filadelfia! She was baptized this past Friday. We then had District Meeting, highlighted by Hermana Adakais' final testimony. After District Meeting, we cotinued the longtime tradition of breaking eggs on her head, with the ploy of taking photos outside. She was prepared though, so no worries.

Tuesday we wet to Neuland for their investigator's baptismal interview. It was nice seeing all the people I got to know there! I also got to spend the day on a division with Elder McEwan, my old comp there. Atilano passed his interview and was baptized this Saturday! We then got to Loma Plata to work for a couple days, before taking a Friday night colectivo to Abundancia.

Saturday, the Hermanas there had a baptismal service and [because I am the District Leader, I]  had to do a few interviews for those over 8 years old. I had the opportunity to baptize 2 of them, a boy named Artilio and a girl named Lidiana. I also directed the service. Later, there was a missionary farewell for a sister missionary leaving for Argentina! After that I had the opportunity to talk to my dear mom and family! It was a great hour, as I haven't seen y'all in forever! I also got to meet Elder Castellaw's family! We caught a ride on a late colectivo home, then had church on Sunday, with 10 people! I sent photos with all of them since it was my last week.

We received our changes on Saturday morning, as we had to buy colectivo tickets. Elder Castellaw will be staying, but I'll be leaving Loma Plata and the Chaco. I've been here for 10 months, so it wasn't a surprise for anyone. I was given the unique experience to work here in an area that I have loved. When I arrived in Neuland, I was told we'd never have anyone get baptized, that it's too hard, that the Chaco is too hot, there aren't members, and many other things that are potential excuses. My companions and I decided that we wouldn't be tempted to make excuses, but that we'd put in the grind, and do some good. Well it's been a long road and it has been difficult, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I've learned countless life lessons, met countless amazing people, and had the opportunity to help in the Lord's purpose of changing the lives of others here in the Chaco. I've been given amazing companions, worked outside in temperatures up to 58 Celcius, and helped many people. I'd like to thank God for all He's given me but especially for one gift that nobody else has been given. That's my mom. Yesterday was Mother's Day in the US and tomorrow is Mother's Day in Paraguay. It's a time to remember someone who made a difference in our lives, and my mom gave me an example. Even without requirement, she and my dad served missions for the Church of Jesus Christ. She continues to serve her community, neighbors, and most importantly, my brothers and me. I won't lie, I haven't always been the most grateful for that in the past, but if my mission has taught me anything, it's that we aren't defined by what we've done in the past, it's defined by what decisions we are making now and how we're improving. Every day is a new day to change and do it right. Thank you mom for all you've done for me and your continuing example. Happy Mothers day!

I love you all, thanks for the emails and prayers!

Pictures:
[Blogger wouldn't let Elder Olson's mother down-load pictures.  Check back and maybe she can another time!]

1 Hna Adakais' last District Meeting called for a tradition: cracking eggs on her head.

2 Elder Castellaw in a colectivo to Neuland!

3 The progress on the chapel in Neuland!

4 Visiting some recent converts, Arnildo and Fredalia!

5 The famous C.O.C sign.

6 Some of my old friends were SUPER glad to see me! I was glad to see them!

7 Some more friends!

8 Atilano (with a Book of Mormon) had his baptismal interview! Nicacio went with us to visit him! Nicacio is now in the Branch Presidency!

9 With Pte Agripino and his family!

10 'You can call me Elder Cook'

11 Abundancia sunset.

12 Saying goodbye to our District President, Professor Cuenca and his family!

13 Church on Sunday!

14 Lucia and Ladi came to church! There are about 10 other people that wanted to come from their family, but they only had 1 moto. Hopefully next week!

15 Esteban came this week so si o si he'll get baptized this week!

16 Familia Colman came in clutch once again, visiting from Abundancia!

17 Saying goodbye to Santiago.

18 Saying goodbye to Ricardo and Estefania.

19 Long story short: we invited Lucia, Ladi and their family to Estebans baptism this week in Abundancia, and showed a picture of the chapel from Elder Castellaws camera. One of them scrolled a couple pictures and saw the picture of us cracking eggson Hna Adakais' head, and since I said I'm leaving Loma Plata, they took that as an open invitation to do the same! hahaha

20 The Hermanas from Abundancia had a few baptisms, and since we had to do interviews, we got to participate!

21 East Coast boys out here in the Chaco.

22 The Hermanas put in a lot of work for these kids to get baptized.

23 We got invited to a cookout with Fm Aveiro! Ricardo is preparing to be baptized hopefully soon!

24 So many kids!

25 Not sure when this is from... a few weeks back on Pday.

26 I've also received questions about if we have smartphones in my mission. Here is the latest in Paraguay mission technology. In some areas they can text now!

No comments:

Post a Comment