Monday, July 2, 2018

WELCOME TO PARAGUAY!

Mon., 7/2/2018 (Luque)

Well it's been a great week here in Paraguay!  I'll start off with the good stuff!

 Tuesday we had transfers, and I was sent to Asuncion to receive a new companion! 3 Elders and 7 Sisters came into the mission, and we had a meeting with them as trainers and trainees. Well only 2 of the Elders showed up that day, and when they announced the companionships, I was that last person who didn't get called! Elder Alvarado is my companion's name and ironically there was an Elder Alvarado leaving that day (from Nicaragua) so instead of taking the traditional picture with my companion and Pte and Hna Evans, I took one with the other Elder Alvarado! Everyone got a good laugh! So I had to stay at the office until Wednesday when Elder Alvarado's flight came in. I had no problem with that, as the Office Elders and Assistants are a few of my good friends from the past!

That night the Office Elders (and I) had pizza then I went with the Assistants and the American Elders (who were going home) to stay at the Assistants' house for the night! Elder Cartagena (we were companions in Yby yau) is the new Assistant, along with Elder Lovelace (one of the elders that stayed with me when I got my wisdom teeth removed in the Mexico MTC), so that was dope!

Wednesday we sent off the outgoing Elders, and I got to go with the APs and Pte and Hna Evans to the airport! We then waited for Elder Alvarado to get in! When he did, we headed to the Mission Office and had a meeting to give him a few pointers from the day before, then we headed out to Bella Vista!

Thursday we had a meeting with the whole zone, then Elder Alvarado and I put in work! We have just been getting him used to the mission all week, but he is doing good. He is from Kearns (Salt Lake City), Utah, so he speaks English and Spanish. His parents are from El Salvador and Mexico! The best of both worlds. We do however just end up speaking 90 percent Spanish together.

It's still kind of weird working here in Bella Vista for me, as I'm kind of used to 1 hour of church and low numbers, but here it's always in the 150 attendance range. In that, I've thought a bit recently about the Sacrament and what it means to all these people. Before my mission I really didn't give enough importance to the Sacrament and reverance, but here I've seen it in a different light. Whether there are 150 people or just two, the atmosphere is really still the same. Whether the church is in a huge chapel (Bella Vista), one without a roof (Neuland), one that's super tiny and there are only 2 people (Loma Plata), or even outside (Paraiso), but there's always bread, water, the same prayer, the same meaning, and the same healing power! This week has been bomb and hopefully we just keep on working hard! Thanks for all the emails and I hope y'all have a good week! 

[Elder Olson answered questions again from his mother:

Q:  Tell us about your new companion.

A:  He is from Salty Lake City (Kearns) but his dad's from El Salvador and his mom's from Mexico, so he speaks perfect Spanish! 

Q:  Is your new companion a convert?

A:  His dad is a convert but he's always been a member! 

Q:  What did you do this week?

A:  What we did all week was put in work! Last change I wasn't able to get much done but we are making up for that. We put 5 new baptismal dates this week so now we have 6! 

Q:  What are the challenges you have?

A:  My only challenge so far has been being patient, as my comp is new and doesn't understand a few things (ie.: if someone is drunk, we can't teach them in the moment because they're drunk) but really it's just been a good week!

Q:  Are you able to get many to listen or is the World Cup Soccer Championship a big pull?

A:   The world cup is big here!  Everyone's happy because Argentina lost.  I'm happy because apparently Sweden is still in? That's what I heard but I'm not watching any! Just everyone else here in South America!]

Pictures:
Sorry I can't send my pictures as my card has a virus (I think) but I know Hna Evans might have updated her blog.  If interested, look up 'Paraguay Asuncion Norte Mission' on google and there should be a picture of my new comp on there!

No comments:

Post a Comment